About to buy this kit - Kit Madamp M15Mk1 - Questions

• Hey All,

I am new to this site, relative new on building amps, so far I successfully built 2 18 Watts and today found this site where everything is cheaper compared with other built.

I need an Amp for my home practice routine

Question 1

Will the chassis fit a typical 18 Watts Combo Amp (Bluesbreaker Style) I build cabinets and Combo but I am not sure about the length

Additionally following parts are required:

if you check photos the Combo Cabinet is already made to fit the control panel.

Also I can't find the right knobs and front panel for this kit can anyone suggest or paste here links for purchasing everything needed?

Required parts:

• 7 Knobs (for 6mm and 6,3mm shaft)
    • Speaker (8Ohm or 16Ohm)
    • Front panel

Will this kit fix the Golden Marshall knobs style?

• I think to answer questions regarding sizes, you have to provide some measurements.

For the knobs: this shop doesn't sell marshall style knobs. I'd suggest to get them from thomann. Make sure to choose the correct ones (6 or 6.3mm).

For the panel, I would recommend the laser shop at Tube-Town. I think this will be around 15€ for a custom panel.

This is how panel and knobs can look combined: Madamp J5Mk1

• Yes thanks for the Combo Cabinet I can build another one specifically for this one so no issues

The knobs I found some Marshall style one I believe they are 6 or 6.3mm s that is ok too

What is still not clear how can I tell Tube-Town to make the front panel exactly how is shown in the photo you provided?

Thanks

• You need to read the stuff at the bottom of this page: https://www.tube-town.net/ttst…p-faceplate-standard.html

And I suggest to design the front in Inkscape.

Yes ok so far not easy to figure it out. I will properly check again, to be honest I was looking for a simpler solution, a front plate that can be adapted straight away to this amp.

I can't get how you can draw the exact design and all button positions and also how to define the exact length of the panel to match the Amp I want to buy. If you could provide more hint and tomorrow I will look onto it, it also seems much more expensive than 15 Euros

• Nobody said that it's gonna be easy. And if you don't want to do that you are free to not do it.

There is no need to DIY. Just buy an Amp from Thomann.

Hi Simon, thanks very much I appreciate your help a lot, I don't mind to do the Job, is not that I'm lazy just didn't fully understood how exactly accomplish what Tube-Town is asking for. I will review now it can't be that complicated, I need this Amp and I wanna complete it

• Hi Simon, thanks very much I appreciate your help a lot, I don't mind to do the Job, is not that I'm lazy just didn't fully understood how exactly accomplish what Tube-Town is asking for. I will review now it can't be that complicated, I need this Amp and I wanna complete it

What I didn't get really well is this part:

"File and Artwork Requirements

Possible file formats

Please send your artwork as PDF (version 1.3 or higher). PDF files can be created either directly from the drawing program or by using a PDF printer. Such programs are usually available free of charge for all common operating systems."

- 1) A drawing program is there anyone specifically to be used or known to be easier for creating face plates or front back panels?

- 2) Will I have to draw the exact real size for the front panel, and of course the exact position for knobs holes etc... Since that is the difficult part I will I create the exact draw that match the amp chassis holes etc..

I want to deep dive on that, in the previous built from TubeTown the amp and face plate could be purchased (18 watts) so the front panel was ready made

• Ok, I suggest to use Inkscape. You have to do everything in exactly the original size. I wonder what other software could help with that because the task is rather like CAD and Inkscape is just a vector graphic software (that is really good and free).

If you have any questions on specific things don't hesitate asking. And sorry for getting rude in my last comment. For a splitsecond I had the impression you were expecting a one click solution or other ppl to do all the tideous work for you. Now I know better :)

• Gimp doesn't help here. The laser shop is about engraving and cutting. You need vector paths for that.

Thanks a lot both, I never ever done anything like that before, all I did since I deep dive to Tube Amp is to build 2 18 watts Amp both perfectly successful and perfectly working to my expectations. I am primarily guitar player, but in the last few years I discovered Keyboards and Organ and I am using guitar amp on my Crumar Mojo Clone because guys, the distorted guitar amp of an 18 watts can produce that typical sound that Jon Lord had on the Smoke on the Water, so....now I need a small amp for home recording, guitar parts and Organ parts.

I never done a single face plate or front panel I have seen different methods but looks like creating one using drawing app is the easiest way and let Tube-Town do the rest of the job

• Hey all

Today I am going to try Inkscape just as a test, it would be nice to find a video tutorial that shows some basic steps on how to start with and after that I would probably be able to walk all alone :-), searching for some tutarial that gives you some basic guidelines on drawing a generic plate.

• Hi Davide,

I've never ordered a custom faceplate from Tube Town so I can't tell you how that works. For the non "deluxe" version of my kits (w/o readily drilled and printed chassis) I've used Schaeffer (https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/) to create a reasonable faceplate. They provide an easy to use free design and order tool and you can get the file for the M15 faceplate from me (you will get it anyway when ordering the non "deluxe" version). You can use this as a starting point to design your own faceplate and order it from Tube or Schaeffer (I think Tube Town is less expensive but as said, I don't have any experience how to order).

• Question

For the non deluxe version such Madamp J5Mk1 is that without pre-drilled chassis.

So if I buy the deluxe version there is an 15 watts Kit Madamp M15Mk1 deluxe this is actually with plate and pre-drilled chassis isn't?

I am good with electronics there must be a reason why I built 2 18 watts in 7 days without mistakes at first go, but with drawing design app is something that I must put some efforts.

At this point I can buy the deluxe version and and I have a fully finished item with less efforts possible.

Thanks

Hi Davide,

I've never ordered a custom faceplate from Tube Town so I can't tell you how that works. For the non "deluxe" version of my kits (w/o readily drilled and printed chassis) I've used Schaeffer (https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/) to create a reasonable faceplate. They provide an easy to use free design and order tool and you can get the file for the M15 faceplate from me (you will get it anyway when ordering the non "deluxe" version). You can use this as a starting point to design your own faceplate and order it from Tube or Schaeffer (I think Tube Town is less expensive but as said, I don't have any experience how to order).

• Hi Davide,

Thanks I would be happy to get the file, I am interested on quick way to move forward and most likely the Deluxe is the one i will use, I wanted to go for the 5 watts, at first, but that requires to drill the chassis etc... I'll get the Deluxe, in any case having a 15 watts, even if for home use only could be still ok, and could take the amp around when needed if needed.

Question

Do you get the file when you get also the non deluxe version? So with the file you can print out in pdf the layout from the software you mentioned? as Tube town is asking for the print out in pdf with specific requirement, and then they can handle the rest of the work, I presume is done in a similar way at Schaeffer?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!