G3 capacitors C8 C9 C10 different values

• Hello,

I finally received the long waited package from Musikding. I found out that all wires are missing and there are three capacitors that have different values than in schematics.

These are capacitors C8, C9, C10. They should have value 4,7 nF 630 V (472), instead I received them as 47 nF 630 V (473).

The question is, can I still use them?

I know the delivery issues should be directed to Musikding, but I'm too impatient to wait for that because I already waited a complete month for the package to arrive (problem with one pedal PCB availability) and it would take atleast two more weeks for the parts to arrive. I visited local shop to buy the missing wires, but they also happened to have the capacitors only with the same 47 nF value that I already have. Hope to hear from you soon, I don't think I would dare to power the amp before getting an answer. Can't wait to get this thing build and running. :thumbup:

Best regards,
    Tuomas

• Hi and welcome to the Forum,
    I'm sorry to hear that you did not receive all parts first time. You should raise that to Klaus to get the capacitors and also the wires, I'm pretty sure this will not take another month. In the meantime you can use the 47nF caps for C8, C9 and C10 to build the G3. They won't do any harm to your amp but the sound may suffer (too much bass and in extreme some blocking distortion) so you should replace them with the 4n7 caps when they arrive.
    Regards,
    Martin

• Thank you very much Martin for the fast response!

I will contact Musikding to send the right parts. In the mean time I'll assemble the amp with these parts and will write an update how things went and how it sounds.

• Good evening!

I finished the amp today. Everything went smoothly, voltages were right and the amp worked from the very first try.

Indeed, the sound was little bit muffled, very dark and without any presence when knobs were 12 o'clock. I turned treble full, bass almost zero, middle 11 and guitar tone almost full, and the sound was playable. I guess the correct caps should fix this.

Too early to judge yet, but so far the amp seems very promising. Just the right caps, different speaker and few pedals (don't have any yet, will build them next) and I think this might just be the perfect practice amp for apartment use. Thank you Martin for the great design!

Cheers,
    Tuomas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!